Ref.: Jeb Patton
Publisher : Sher Music
A Guide to Jazz Accompanying
272 pages, plus 2 CDs
This new book focuses on how to play (or “comp”) behind a jazz soloist. It is a step-by-step guide to basic comping rhythms, voicings, and progressions — as played by the masters.
Topics Covered Include:
- Basic rhythms and voicings for comping.
- 11 note-for-note transcriptions of Bud Powell, Horace Silver, Tadd Dameron, and Barry Harris comping behind the soloist.
- 3 modified transcriptions in the style of Red Garland, Sonny Clark, and Bobby Timmons comping behind the soloist.
- Comping guides, rhythms, and progressions derived from the transcriptions.
- Over 80 comping exercises aimed at getting the concepts under your fingers.
2 CD's containing demonstrations and play-along tracks.
- Interviews about the art of comping by Harold Mabern and Renee Rosnes.
This product is no longer in stock