Ref.: Mimi Rabson
Publisher: Berklee Press
Format: Softcover Audio Online
Learn to use strings in your compositions and arrangements! From romantic chord pads to powerful grooves to gut-wrenching passionate melodies, strings do it all. This book presents time-tested techniques and contemporary developments in writing and arranging for strings.
You'll learn strategies for authentic writing in many different styles and find ideas to take your personal sound forward. Discover voicings that work best for each project and explore the intricacies of bowing. Hear articulation approaches from pads to chopping in the online audio examples. See how other composers have used strings to heighten the impact of their music in the written examples. Make your work stand out with the drama and depth that well informed string writing can bring.
You will learn:
• The tunings, range, and timbres for the violin, viola, cello, and bass, including standard instruments and common variations, including acoustic, electric, and synthesized string instruments and sections
• Bowing techniques and possibilities
• Characteristic articulations and sounds, such as vibrato, pizzicato, sul tasto, trills, tremolos, and harmonics
• Timbral and rhythm effects, such as chop technique, ponticello/feedback, portamento, and falls
• String-section arranging techniques, such as melody/countermelody, fills, pads, and comping
• Stylistic nuances of genres such as American roots, Celtic, jazz, rock, klezmer, eastern European, Gypsy jazz, and swing
• Mic, recording, and live sound techniques for capturing the best string sounds for both acoustic and electric instruments
This product is no longer in stock